Monday, November 2, 2009

Beef, Black Bean and Chorizo Chili

It took a few days of resting but I am finally feeling better. We had friends over for Halloween night and I wanted to serve something warm and comforting after a long night of Trick or Treating. I was inspired by Chris at Nibble Me This when I saw his delicious looking Beef and Chorizo Chili. I used my base recipe for Chili but added ground beef, chorizo and black beans. It simmered in the oven all day long and made my house smell so unbelievable. It was thick, hearty, spicy and so delicious. I served it with shredded cheddar cheese, green onion and sour cream. It was a big hit with all the adults and my son. I will be making this chili often...thanks for the inspiration Chris.

Beef, Black Bean and Chorizo Chili:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 90/10)
  • 6 oz pork chorizo, casing removed
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 8 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, diced
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • 1 7 oz can of whole green chiles, diced
  • 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 15 oz cans of tomato sauce
  • 1 15 oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add ground beef and chorizo (casing removed) cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally then add onions, pepper, garlic and jalapeno. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes before adding tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles and beans. Add all spices and vinegar, stir then cover with a lid and place in the oven. Cook for 4-6 hours, stirring throughout the day if you can. Top with cheddar cheese, green onions and sour cream, if desired. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment