Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mom's Potato Salad with a Twist

My mom is a great cook and one of her best dishes is potato salad. It's a huge hit with everyone that eats it. I have never made it before and decided to give it a try - I added just a few things to make it my own. My stepfather-in-law Bud uses big chunks of black olives in his version and I really liked the flavor and color they added. It was a very tasty potato salad that went well with the barbecue ribs I made. If you want to kick it up a bit try a little wasabi mixed in... my sister Dana loves it that way. Don't worry Mom, yours is still my favorite.

  • 5 large potatoes, skinned, boiled until fork tender & diced into bite size chunks
  • 5 hard boiled eggs, diced
  • 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
  • 1/2 cup of sliced black olives, drained
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
  • 2 tsp of red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup of regular (tastes better) or low fat mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp celery salt
  • 1 tsp dried mustard
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Paprika (sprinkled on top for garnish)

Just like my mom, I boil my large potatoes with the skin on. Once they are fork tender I let them cool and simply peel off the skin. I then dice into bite size chunks. Combine the remaining ingredients (except paprika) in a large bowl & mix thoroughly. Taste and re-season if needed. Put into a serving bowl & sprinkle with paprika. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment