Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Banana Bread

My daughter and I had some alone time today and we decided to make a loaf of banana bread (we had two very ripe bananas to use up). We had a great time laughing, making a mess and creating the best banana bread I have ever made. I was really impressed with how well my daughter bakes - she is a natural. Let me just say, this loaf lasted less than 24 hours in our house...there was only a third left after I took it out of the oven and my kids happily ate the remainder this morning with breakfast. It was so good! I love the cinnamon, nutmeg & clove flavors combined with the banana and vanilla. I am certain that using half brown sugar made it even tastier - I may try all brown sugar next time. The only downside of this loaf was that it was a bit small. I will double the ingredients next time for a fuller loaf. No matter how small my loaf was, it was FULL of flavor, moist and delicious.

  • 1 cup of flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and mix thoroughly, set aside.

  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup of white sugar
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup walnut pieces
In another bowl mash bananas, egg, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, butter and vanilla together and mix thoroughly. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well. Once the batter is well combined add walnuts and stir. Pour ingredients into prepared loaf pan. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven & let cool for a few minutes before cutting. Serve while it's warm with butter. Enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment