Monday, May 12, 2008

Baked Barbecue Ribs

This is a family favorite - especially for my sister Leslie. My Dad always grills ribs for special occasions and they are the best. I decided to make some for friends who were coming over for dinner but instead of grilling them I baked them low & slow (like my Mom does). I also wanted to make my own sauce and it turned out tangy and sweet - a big hit with everyone. Next time I make this, I will set aside some sauce for the kids and then add a bit of crushed pepper to spice it up for my husband and I. The meat fell off the bone & was so tender & delicious - it was a great dinner shared with wonderful friends.

  • 6-7 lbs of beef ribs (with bone)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups of water (per pan)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. These are messy ribs so I suggest lining your desired baking dish with tin foil. Spray the tin foil with cooking spray to help prevent sticking. Season the ribs with salt and pepper to taste.

Barbecue Sauce:

  • 2 slices of bacon (turkey bacon doesn't work well)
  • 1 tbsp of fresh thyme, chopped
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion diced finely
  • 4 cloves of garlic, diced finely
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 4 cups of ketchup
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of molasses
  • 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp dried mustard
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • Salt and black pepper to taste

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Once it's finished add thyme and onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 30-45 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly, cook for about 20 minutes so flavors combine. Spoon sauce over the ribs (front and back); reserve the extra sauce for basting and serving. Pour 1 1/2 cups of water in the bottom of the pan and cover tightly with tinfoil. Bake for 3 hours. Remove tinfoil, make sure there is still water in the pan, if not add some, then baste the ribs with a bit more sauce. Cover the pan tightly again and return to the oven. Reduce the heat to 225 degrees until ready to serve. I cooked mine for 5 hours and they were perfect. I added a bit more sauce before serving. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment