Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Balsamic and Onion Pot Roast

It was a cold and rainy day today so my daughter wanted me to make pot roast and potatoes for dinner. Instead of making my regular pot roast I searched the internet for something different. I came across a recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen that looked interesting so I decided to give it a try. I adapted the recipe to suit my families tastes and I used my oven instead of a crockpot. The meat turned out tender and flavorful and the balsamic onion sauce was a huge hit with all of us especially my husband who really loved it. Thanks for the great recipe Kalyn.


Balsamic and Onion Pot Roast:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Kalyn's Kitchen
  • 1 tbsp garlic olive oil
  • 3 lb chuck roast, trimmed
  • Steak seasoning, to taste
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced into large chunks
  • 1 red onion, sliced into large chunks
  • 6-7 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.


Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Trim the chuck roast of as much fat as possible. Season both sides of the chuck roast with the steak seasoning, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Sear the meat on both sides for a few minutes until nice and brown.


Deglaze the pan with the beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and tomato paste. Cook for a minute or two so it can reduce a little. Add the onions, garlic, and bay leaves then cover with a lid and place into the oven. Cook the pot roast for 3-4 hours or until moist and tender. (If you can, flip the meat halfway through cooking.)


Remove the pot roast and place on a cutting board with a tin foil tent. While the meat is resting, Remove the bay leaves from the balsamic and onion sauce and skim as much fat off the top of the sauce as possible. Place on the stove over medium high heat and cook down for 2-3 minutes until it has reduced a bit. Slice the pot roast and drizzle with the balsamic onion sauce. Enjoy.








No comments:

Post a Comment