Sunday, May 15, 2011

Indonesian Prawns & Chicken Cake (Kekian)

My family's all time fave which I never cook myself, til I found out that it's easy to make :)
Kekian, is a typical Indonesian dish famous in Semarang - Central Java

My mum's recipe...

What you need:

200g chicken breast - diced
200g prawns - deshelled, deveined and cut
50g pork oil, tiny cut (optional - I didn't use for health reason - no doubt this crucial ingredients does a major part in giving a soft and springy cake)
enough plain flour to form a thick paste
salt, pepper, a little sugar
6 eggs - lightly beaten (if using pork oil, eggs can be reduced to 4)

Blend smooth chicken, prawns, pork oil, salt, pepper, sugar
Mix flour and eggs by hands til well mixed
Arrange batter on a lightly oil greased pan and steam for approximately 45 mins (I used 20cm round pan) - cover the top with heat proof plastic
Let cool - cut square and pan fry til golden brown

Can be consumed in few different ways:

Pan fried and eat with sweet soya sauce (kecap manis) mixed with cut bird's eye chillis (Indonesian brand ABC sells ready to eat in bottle - convenient)

Cooked in stir fry with garlic and veggies
Simply stir fry crushed garlic and cut from 1 small onion on a heated pan with oil, add in veggies (I used cut cabbage only), water, salt, pepper, a little sugar and corn starch mixed with a little water to thicken the gravy, throw in kekian, stir well

Mixed in fried noodle
(recipe here - just replace the chicken with kekian)

Recently only I found another recipe for this dish - you may view here 
A little different and sounds tasty, I will give it a try next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment