Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mushroom, Pineapple and Basil Calzone

I wasn't in the mood to cook a big dinner and I didn't have much to choose from in my refrigerator. I did have some pizza dough and fresh mushrooms that needed to be used up so I decided to try my first attempt at making a calzone. I found some pineapple in the cupboard (my kids favorite pizza topping) and my basil plant was overloaded with leaves so I decided to add that too. It was easy to make and simple to cook. It turned out really crisp and tasty...we all loved this calzone - especially my kids.

  • Pizza dough (I buy mine at Trader Joe's)
  • Pizza sauce (I used leftover roasted marinara)
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Mushrooms, sliced very thin
  • Pineapple chunks
  • Fresh basil, chopped
  • Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Sprinkle of corn meal
  • Cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray your pizza tray with olive oil cooking spray and then sprinkle the corn meal all over. Roll your dough out to form a pizza and place on pizza tray. Spread pizza sauce (or marinara) over half the dough. Add mozzarella, mushrooms, pineapple, basil and parmesan cheese (or whatever toppings you like).

Fold the other half of the dough over the toppings and carefully fold and crimp the ends of the dough so it's completely sealed. Use a knife to make a few slits on the top and spray with olive oil cooking spray.

Place in the oven and cook for 18-20 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest for 2-3 minutes before sliceing into wedges. Enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment