Thursday, September 18, 2008

Coconut Lemon Bars


I am in love. No, really, truly in love. I love coconut and lemon so combining the two was bound to make me a happy woman. My daughter's school had a parent night to meet the teachers and principal as well as tour the school. Our friends offered to babysit so I (and my kids) made a thank you treat for them. Of course, I had to try them to make sure they were good enough to give to our friends (lucky me). I loved the texture and flavor of the coconut crust. It was chewy and sweet and so perfect with the tart lemon on top. This is my new favorite way to make lemon bars. If you like lemon and coconut then you must try this recipe...you will not be disappointed.

Crust:
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of powder sugar
  • 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 stick of cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the 8 inch baking pan with cooking spray. To make crust combine flour, powder sugar and salt in a bowl. Add butter pieces, vanilla and coconut then mix with hands until crumbly. Press evenly into the bottom of your baking pan. Bake until lightly golden, about 18-20 minutes. Set crust aside.

Filling:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 2 tbsp of flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp lemon zest, diced finely
  • 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • Sweetened shredded coconut for garnish
To make filling whisk together eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Add lemon zest and juice and mix until combined thoroughly. Pour over hot crust. Bake 15-18 minutes or until filling is set. Cool completely before sprinkling with shredded coconut. Enjoy.



Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment