Friday, August 29, 2008

Shredded Chicken, Green Chile, Black Bean and Cheddar Cheese Chimichanga

I could eat Mexican food every day. I love it. I crave it. I need it. Luckily, my husband loves it too and if you ask my children what restaurant they want to go to, they will always say "chips and salsa" aka a Mexican restaurant. Anyway, I had a few avocados to use up and decided to make a batch of guacamole. I love shredded chicken with green chiles so I thought a chimichanga would be perfect with the creamy guacamole. I was right. I added black beans and cheddar cheese along with the chicken and green chiles. Cooking the chimichangas in a hot dry skillet makes them really crispy on the outside while staying moist and tender inside. The cheese oozes out and the green chile gives it a bit of a kick. My husband and I loved this! The chiles were a bit spicy so I did chicken, bean and cheese for the kids - they LOVED theirs too.

Shredded Chicken:
  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any fat
  • 3 cups of chicken broth
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp sweet yellow onion, diced finely
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and gently boil for 20 minutes. Let the chicken breasts cool then shred with two forks.

Ingredients:

  • Flour tortillas
  • Cheddar cheese
  • 1 4 oz can of whole green chiles
  • Tomatoes, diced (garnish)
  • Green onions, diced (garnish)
  • Black beans, rinsed and drained
  • Guacamole (click here for recipe)
  • Sour Cream (optional)
  • Salsa or hot sauce (optional)

Heat a dry skillet over medium heat. On a flour tortilla layer cheese, green chile, shredded chicken, black beans then roll into a burrito, making sure to fold in both sides to contain ingredients. Place in the hot skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Top with fresh guacamole, tomatoes and diced green onions. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment