Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Brown Rice with Mushrooms & Peas


This is one of my Dad's favorite dishes. There is something very comforting about this side dish and I think it's because it reminds me of my childhood. I have changed it a bit by using brown rice and less butter but it tastes just as good as my Dad's version. It's extremely easy to make and both my kids gobble it up. This rice goes great with roasted chicken.
  • Brown Rice (4 servings), prepared per instructions (I use chicken or vegetable stock for more flavor)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups of button or cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Prepare rice per instructions. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft then add mushrooms, continue to sauté until golden brown. Once rice is finished cooking, add mushrooms, onions, peas, butter & soy sauce. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment