Friday, February 8, 2013

Pineapple Tarts & Gong Xi Fa Chai!

I made this recipe for Chinese New Year two years ago
I didn't bake any last year since I was in the midst of unpacking in my new place

I love this recipe, melt in the mouth pastry, not too sweet and very easy to handle dough
I do in fact have many other pineapple tart recipes I love to try, but let me start with this first :)




 
 
This recipe is from Fresh From The Oven as recommended by Small Small Baker
 
What you need:
 
For the pastry:
220g butter
375g all purpose flour
2 egg yolks
50g icing sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
 
Method:
  1. Sieve all purpose flour, corn flour, salt and icing sugar into a medium bowl
  2. Beat butter in a mixer until it turns light in color and fluffy
  3. Add in egg yolks until well combined. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until just combined
  4. Flatten the dough using roller and shape accordingly. Put pineapple paste on top (1tsp each)
  5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 10 to 15 minutes or till lightly brown
 
For the pineapple paste: 
The first time I baked using this recipe, I used ready to use pineapple paste from Bake King
I mixed with pineapple juice and juice from half lemon cos I find the paste is too dense and sweet
This time I did my own pineapple paste
Here's how you make it...
  1. Cut into chunks 4 pineapples, blend with just enough water to let the blender works
  2. Add in juice of 1 lemon and 1 cinnamon stick, let it boil
  3. Upon boiling, on low fire, simmer til it starts to thicken
  4. Add in 6-8 tbsp of sugar (depending on the sweetness of the pineapples), mix well
  5. Continue to simmer til thick and dry
* Note:
For open tarts, it's better not to use paste that is too dry, since it's exposed to the oven heat
 
 
I'm submitting this post to:
 
 

Photobucket
 
 
Last but not least, I and family would like to wish all of you a very happy Chinese New Year 2013! Enjoy your holiday :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment