Friday, November 2, 2012

Nutella Marbled Cake - Aurora Tiered Birthday Cake 4 Abigail

1 November was my 'lil princess 7th birthday
How time flies! I still remember what happened every single minute during the 10 hours I spent in the hospital waiting for her arrival.. and now, she's a sweet young girl celebrating her 7th birthday!

As usual, it's the special request birthday cake from the birthday girl
This time, she never specified any character she wanted on the cake. She just wanted a tiered cake, and it had to be a three tiered cake
Oopss! Something I never did before! Let alone three, I haven't even made two!
And thinking about smoothing the whole tiered cake with buttercream, it frustrated me even before I made the buttercream!
So, I decided to use fondant this time - the decision made with all my fingers and toes crossed since I, as you all know, am not good in cake decorating at all :)
But everything for my girl - I guess all mummies will agree with me :P

So, 31 October was the cake baking day, I baked Nutella cake using the recipe from Sam's site
This is the second recipe I made for Nutella cake and I definitely will stick to this recipe  This cake is really good, trust me!
It tasted better and had texture that I prefer, moist! Yes, I like moist butter cake
Well, anybody ever know somebody who likes dry butter cake? LOL
Just for reference, you may view the first recipe I made HERE
It's slightly different cos it's not marbled cake, it's plain butter cake with Nuttela mixed in the batter and then baked. It's nice, but this one is better :)

It's a really tiring day, I cooked, took care of the kids and house, baked two recipes of this cake, made buttercream, assembled the cake and crumb coated the cake and finally, the most daunting part - did the 'piling up high like mountain' dishes :-O
I was exhausted at the end of the day, my legs were so painful for long period of standing

The next day, on the day itself early morning I took out the cake from the fridge and rolled out the fondant
Big mistake of the day: I covered the cake with fondant while the cake was still cold
The next thing I knew, it started to have condensation everywhere
I could only stare in despair, for I couldn't do anything to remedy the situation
But I still went ahead to do the little deco here and there and in fact, I used the condensation as glue LOL
What worried me was the whole fondant would collapse, so I kept checking on the cake, patted here and there, tried to smoothen everywhere with my hands dusted with icing sugar wew.... Ants would love my house on that day :)
Luckily nothing major happened to the cake, I learnt my lesson and problem solved after I moved to cake into air conditioned room
But, as a price to pay for my negligence, some parts of the cake wasn't smooth at all :(

After done with everything, I was quite satisfied, despite the condensation tragedy
It's only my second fondant cake, after all (read: self consolation) LOL
Abby was thrilled and she was the one who took the initiative to choose and place Princess Aurora on top :)


 
 
The delicious cake, a must try!
I didn't manage to do the marble effect nicely, but who cares? The taste was just too awesome it didn't matter anymore :)





The excited birthday girl :)



Happy birthday my sweet little princess Abigail  XOXO :)

No comments:

Post a Comment