Friday, May 4, 2012

ABC May 2012 - Orange Cranberries Scones

I was a little late for this month's submission for ABC event
I should have done all my "homework" way in advance.. My bad habit of doing everything last minute never do me any good.. Like this time, for instance
I was planning to bake the scones on Wednesday when I was suddenly felt unwell the whole day.. In the end I only managed to do it today..

This is the scones I made today, my first scones :)
Taken from the book The Weekend Baker by Abigail Johnson Dodge, I must say she's a genious!
This is her second recipe I made and both didn't make me happy with the result, no, that's not the right word.. They amazed me! Both are a keeper!
And those members have joined the event right from the start, this is actually the fifth recipe, and all were dotted as keeper recipes too!
No doubt the book looks rather plain, minimum pictures and attraction to the eyes, the content is really some kind of jewel!
It makes me very eager to bake the rest of the recipes in the book - which is alot! LOL




It's actually a recipe for big batch scone mix which you can prepare in advance
I did the single batch which made 8 scones
Btw, I think my scones are a little too 'wrinkly' , aren't they?
Not sure what I did wrong in the appearance, but taste and texture wise, no complaint at all :)

I added 1 tsp of orange zest from the super sweet Taiwan murcott, the skin is rather thin compared to navel oranges, but the aroma is really great!
And the orange was so sweet I couldn't help myself but to add 3 tbsp of the juice into the dough, and did I regret? Nope, I was glad I did :)
I added 75g dried cranberries, too
I didn't have buttermilk on hand, I mixed fresh milk with 1 tbsp of lemon juice

Easy to whip up, except a little struggle with the sticky dough, these scones is such a great companion during tea time, but also it's great with butter and jam / marmade for breakfast... yum!
DH ate two, just plain on its own, at one go - this doesn't need further verbal comment from him anymore :)

Please view this link for other ABC bakers links with their wonderful scones

I'm also linking this post up to:
*Sweet Treats Thursday
*Sweet Tooth Friday
*Sweets For A Saturday #68

No comments:

Post a Comment