Monday, March 26, 2012

Bake Along #21 - Fresh Strawberry Cake With White Chocolate Chips

Just like the title of the book where this recipe comes from - Cake Keeper, this cake is really a keeper!
Soft and fluffy - I really mean it, it's really really soft and fluffy, my kind of cake
I couldn't stop at 1 slice each time I ate this cake, not so good for my waistline :)

One thing is it's really sweet, I have halved the sugar amount and I still find it's too sweet, especially after left overnight
I guess cos of the sweetness from white chocolate. I am a dark chocolate fans, not really into white chocolate. The next time I bake this cake again, I'll replace with dark chocolate instead :)

And I found that the white chocolate in the cake didn't melt, anybody experienced the same thing as me?



You see thefirst pic above?
I was quite upset to find out that all the pictures I took was quite blurry, that was the best after sorting out! :(
Perhaps I was quite tired that day, after I was out in the morning, I immediately baked this cake once I reached home in the late afternoon. After I finished preparing all ingredients, I paused for 1 hour to assist Abby doing her homework. By the time I finished everything including the washing (the most dreadful part!) it's already close to 9pm and I haven't had my dinner. So while I waited for the cake to cool, I had my late dinner. After that I had to clean up kitchen, tucked my kids to bed and then finally I could take a snap of the cake
Perhaps I was a little too rushed and didn't really concentrate, hence the disappointing result wew...  Anyway taking pictures at night can never be as good as during daytime when the sunlight can be such a great help, but often I don't have choice...
Ok, I shall stop complaining, since the second pic was not that bad :)

Here's the recipe with the adjustment I made...
(original recipe is from "Cake Keeper Cakes" by Lauren Chattman)

What you need:

1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
8 ounces strawberries, sliced into 4
1 cup white chocolate chunks
  1. Heat oven to 175degC. Grease 9"square pan, dust with flour and knock out the excess
  2. Combine egg, egg yolk, sour cream, lemon zest, vanilla in large bowl and beat lightly with balloon whisk
  3. Combine 1 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in medium bowl, sift together
  4. Combine butter and sugar in mixing bowl, cream with electric mixer on medium high til fluffy, around 3minutes
  5. Reduce to medium low speed, pour in egg mixture into the bowl in a slow stream, mix well
  6. Turn mixer to low speed and add flour mixture, 1/2 cup each time, After the last addition, mix for 30secs on medium speed
  7. Combine strawberries and remaining 1/4cup flour in medium bowl and toss to coat
  8. Fold the flour covered berries along with the chocolate chips into the batter with spatula
  9. Scrape batter into pan and smooth top with spatula
  10. Bake for 25minutes til golden brown, when skewer comes out clean
  11. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5minutes, invert on wire rack and then turn it right side up, cool completely
This cake is for the exciting event of Bake Along #21, please visit the hosts' wonderful blogs too : Joyce, Lena and Zoe.
Thanks for the idea of baking this fabulous cake, it's very well received by my family

No comments:

Post a Comment