Thursday, September 22, 2011

Smashed Red Potatoes

It's been a long night and I am tired. I just got home from spending three hours in the ER with my son. He was running around the house this evening and fell into the corner of our very hard and heavy footstool face first. He had a small but deep gash and a very sore forehead that ended up getting three stitches. He was so brave while getting the stitches - he made my husband and I very proud.

My daughter still has a very tender mouth due to her new braces so I made a big batch of one of her favorites - smashed potatoes. This recipe really couldn't be any easier to make and they tasted wonderful. Even my husband, who doesn't love potatoes (which is quite weird since we both were raised in Idaho), couldn't get enough of these smashed red potatoes. They were creamy, buttery and absolutely delicious. These potatoes made my daughter a very happy girl.

Smashed Red Potatoes:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe from Cuisine at Home ~ October 2011
  • 3/4 lb red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1/3 cup of milk
  • 2-3 tbsp butter, softened
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.

Drain the potatoes; return to the pot, stirring, over low heat for one minute. This dries the excess moisture from the potatoes so they can absorb the milk and butter.

Smash the potatoes with a hand masher until you reach your desired consistency. Stir in the milk, butter, garlic powder, sea salt, and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment