Monday, February 7, 2011

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

We had a very cold and rainy day recently so I was in the mood to make soup. I found this recipe in the Moosewood Cookbook and it sounded very interesting. I wasn't sure if I would like paprika, dill, and mushrooms together in a soup but I was willing to give it a try. I am so glad I did because I absolutely LOVED it. I enjoyed the flavor and texture of this soup and the dill and paprika really made the flavors shine. My children didn't care for it but my husband loved it as much as I did and he said the leftovers were even more flavorful the next day. I highly recommend trying this soup.

Hungarian Mushroom Soup:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking
Original recipe by Moosewood Cookbook
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cups sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
  • 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tsp dill weed
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1 cup of 2% milk
  • 2 cups of vegetable or chicken stock (divided)
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Parsley for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions then cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, dill, paprika, soy sauce, and 1/2 cup of stock, stir until well combined then cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the mushroom mixture and liquid from the Dutch oven to a bowl, set aside.

Heat the butter in the Dutch oven, add the flour once the butter has melted then whisk until creamy for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk while whisking until well combined. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes, or until thick. Add the mushroom mixture and juices along with the remaining stock to the flour mixture; stir until well combined. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Just before serving, add the lemon juice, sour cream, and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Serve garnished with parsley. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment