Monday, November 29, 2010

Homemade Fettuccine

I was recently sent a pasta kit from the folks at Johnsonville. The kit included a pasta machine, a pasta dryer, cheese grater, and meatball former... being a food blogger has great perks! Anyway, I thought I would try making homemade fettuccine. Most recipes online were similar so I just read a few to get the general idea on how to make the pasta. I then searched for some videos to help show me how to use my pasta making machine and this video really helped me.

Homemade Fettuccine:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 3 eggs
  • Pinch of salt
Place the flour on a clean surface making a mound then form a well in the center. Make sure to keep the walls of the "bowl" of flour even. Crack the eggs into the well of flour then season with a pinch of salt.

Mix the eggs carefully with a fork without disturbing the flour. Once the eggs are mixed well, slowly incorporate the flour into the egg mixture, a little at a time. Once the flour and egg mixture is well combined, use your fingers to form a dough ball. If the dough is too wet, add a bit of flour.

Knead the dough like you would bread dough. Push the dough down away from you with the palm of your hand then turn it 90 degrees, fold, and push down again away from you with the palm of your hand. Continue kneading for 5 minutes.

After you have finished kneading, cut the ball into 4 even pieces.

Flatten the dough balls in your hand. Prepare your pasta machine on the widest setting, mine was setting 1. If you don't have a pasta machine, you can roll it as THIN as possible with a rolling pin. Feed the flattened piece of dough into the slot of the pasta machine while turning the handle. Hold the dough in your other hand while it comes out of the machine. Fold the dough in half and repeat the process 6 times to help make the dough extra smooth. Make sure to keep your dough well floured, you don't want it sticky.

After you have done the 1 setting 6 times, turn the setting to 2. Feed the dough into the slot while gently holding the dough with the other hand when it comes out. Repeat. Turn the setting to 3 and repeat. The dough should go through each setting twice. I stopped my dough at setting 8.

I placed the long piece of thin dough on my floured work surface and cut into half.

I sprinkled flour on each side of both pieces and then I fed each piece through the dough cutter on my machine making sure to catch the falling pasta with my other hand. If you don't have pasta machine, simply fold the WELL floured pasta then cut into desired size with a sharp knife.

I then placed my pasta on a flour surface to separate each piece before putting it on my pasta drying rack. Repeat the process with the other balls of dough. Let the dough dry for 3-4 hours.

Prepare pasta by boiling water that has been well seasoned with salt over high heat. Once the water is rapidly boiling, place the pasta into the water and cook for 3-5 minutes or until al dente. Drain and toss with your favorite sauce. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment