Friday, August 20, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

My generous neighbor Jack, who happens to have an amazing green thumb, gave me a couple beautiful zucchinis from his garden. My kids asked if I would make chocolate zucchini bread but I decided to make muffins instead because I didn't want to have my oven on for an hour in this hot weather. The muffins were a snap to make and tasted really fantastic! The kids loved that I threw in chocolate chips and I loved that I used whole wheat flour. These muffins were a great after lunch snack and a perfect breakfast the following day.

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup of milk
  • 3/4 cup of canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup of zucchini, shredded
  • 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a muffin tray with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and cocoa. Mix thoroughly.

In another bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add the shredded zucchini and stir. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined then add the chocolate chips. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tray, filling each cup to the top.

Bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool before serving. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment