Monday, September 28, 2009

Quinoa with Caramelzied Red Onion, Bell Peppers and Garlic

I've been wanting to try quinoa for a long time so I finally picked up a box at Trader Joe's. I decided to combine it with some caramelized onions, peppers and garlic for extra flavor. It was quick and easy to make and had very little clean up. I served this dish with Grilled Chicken in a Mustard-Tarragon Sauce and steamed broccoli. I think quinoa is extremely delicious - I really love it's nutty flavor and different texture. My kids and husband loved it as well, so I will be making more dishes using quinoa in the future.

Quinoa and Caramelized Red Onion, Bell Peppers and Garlic:
Recipe and photo by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 3 small baby bell peppers, diced
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup of quinoa
  • 2 cups of water
  • Parsley (not in photo)
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell peppers; cook for 10-12 minutes or until the veggies are tender and golden brown. While the veggies are cooking, prepare the quinoa per instructions.

Once the peppers and onions are tender and golden brown, add the minced garlic and stir constantly for 60 seconds; remove veggies from heat and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.

Combine the cooked quinoa with the caramelized vegetables, mix thoroughly. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Enjoy.


Click here for a printable version of this recipe - For the Love of Cooking.net

No comments:

Post a Comment