Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Blueberry Crisp


We had friends over for dinner and I wanted to make a nice yet simple dessert. I've seen a lot of terrific recipes for crisps out there lately and I thought a blueberry crisp would be a perfect way to use up the last of the blueberries my neighbor Jack gave me. I decided to try this recipe from the Food Network because it sounded really simple to make and because it called for pecans in the crumb topping. I loved how sweet the blueberries were and I really enjoyed the crunch of the pecans. I served this blueberry crisp warm from the oven with homemade whipped cream. It was delicious - we all loved it.

Blueberry Crisp:
Recipe and photo by For the Love of Cooking.net
Recipe from Food Network

Filling:
  • 6 cups blueberries, rinsed and lightly dried
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • Pinch salt

Toss the blueberries with the cornstarch, sugar and salt. Mix thouroughly.

Crumb Topping Mixture:
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 stick room temperature unsalted butter, cubed
  • Whipped cream, for topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, oats, brown and white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans in a bowl. Add butter and pinch into chunks. Mix until it looks crumbly.

Add the blueberries into a 2-quart baking dish. Top evenly with the crumb mixture.

Bake for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream and/or whipped cream. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe - For the Love of Cooking.net

No comments:

Post a Comment