Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce

We're back from vacation. It took me a few days to get back into the swing of things but now I am feeling back to normal.

We had a wonderful trip to Idaho visiting all of our family and several friends. We did so many fun things like taking the kids for a paddle boat ride, we visited the old Idaho State Penitentiary, we hiked up to Balanced Rock, we checked out the magnificent Shoshone Falls, took the kids bowling (my 3 year old son bowled a 115), we took a long four wheeler adventure up in the mountains in Riggins (I didn't take pictures because I was too busy driving), we visited a fish hatchery, we rode the chair lift up to the top of Brundage mountain in McCall, went to a fun parade in Cascade and had a fantastic time lighting fireworks for the Fourth of July. We were able to spend quality time with our family as well as see some really good friends. It was a wonderful trip full of great memories.

One night in Boise we got a babysitter and my sister, her husband Brooks, Chad, and I went to my favorite restaurant called Barbacoa. We had a wonderful time eating several AMAZING appetizers and a few tasty cocktails. I was lucky enough to talk to the chef and he told how to make one of my favorite appetizers which was a barbacoa beef stuffed chile with sweet potatoes... I can't wait to re-create it. My sister also had one of her co-workers make us some authentic chile rellanos, refried beans and rice. I can't tell you how delicious it all was. The chile rellanos were, by far, the VERY BEST I've ever had. I am really hoping my sister will be able to get the recipe for me. Chad and I also went out to dinner in McCall before meeting up with friends for drinks. We ate at the Shore Lodge and I had the best bouillabaisse I've ever had. It was filled with lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, halibut, salmon and fingerling potatoes. I can't wait to go back the next time we are in town.

Below are a few pictures from our trip:

Balanced Rock

Me with my two nephews and my children


The beautiful Shoshone Falls


Fish Hatchery


Lovely flower from my mother in law's garden


The top of Brundage Mountain - McCall, Idaho

It's great to be home and I am looking forward to visiting all of my favorite food blogs, it's been way too long. Now, on to the recipe...

I have been wanting to try a chimichurri sauce for a long time and I keep seeing wonderful recipes for it. I came across a cilantro chimichurri sauce at Life's Ambrosia and knew instantly I would be making it for dinner. I love Mexican flavors and had a bunch of cilantro in the refrigerator that I needed to use up. The only problem with my sauce was the garlic cloves I used were very large so it made the sauce a bit spicy from the raw garlic. Luckily my family and our dinner guests all love garlic. Next time I will use 1 large clove or 2-3 small cloves. The sauce was perfect with the flank steak - we all really, really liked it. This steak paired nicely with my Southwestern Salad.

Flank Steak:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking
Recipe adapted from Life's Ambrosia
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Ground cumin
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Chili powder
  • Dried Oregano
  • 1 1/2 lb flank steak

I didn't measure seasonings, I simply sprinkled a bit of each on both sides of the steak. Once you season, place on a plate and cover with saran wrap then place in the refrigerator for a few hours.

Chimichurri Sauce:

  • 2-3 small cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup lightly packed cilantro
  • 1 cup packed Italian flat leaf parsley
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil

Place the cilantro, parsley, sea salt, black pepper, cumin, white wine vinegar and crushed red pepper in a food processor. Pulse ingredients a few times then while it is processing, slowly add the olive oil until the mixture emulsifies, about 1 minute. Sauce should be nice and smooth. Keep the sauce at room temperature until ready to serve.

Grill, pan fry or broil the steak to your desired degree of doneness. Make sure to let the meat "rest" for at least 5 minutes prior to slicing. Slice steak against the grain into thin slices. Drizzle the chimichurri sauce on top and serve. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment