Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy

I had some lean ground beef that I needed to use up. I Googled ground beef recipes and kept coming up with salisbury steak. I used to love those frozen dinners in the tin tray when I was a kid. I decided to try my hand at a healthy yet tasty version of salisbury steak. I used packaged brown gravy because my daughter loves it and it's low in fat and calories. The bacon, roasted garlic and caramelized onion really made the steak patties full of flavor. This was an easy meal to make and tasted really delicious - it took me back to my childhood. My husband and I both enjoyed this dish and our kids did too.

  • 3 tsp olive oil (divided)
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 8 oz of button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 lb of lean ground beef (96/4)
  • Bulb of roasted garlic
  • 2 pieces of bacon, crumbled
  • Snider's Prime Rib seasoning (or your favorite steak seasoning), to taste
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1-2 packets of brown gravy mix, prepared per instructions

Prepare roasted garlic (click on link above for directions). Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, once done remove to a paper towel to drain. Remove all but 1 teaspoon of bacon grease from the skillet then add 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook until soft and tender, about 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil to the same skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms once the pan is very hot. Let them sit, without stirring for 3-4 minutes for a nice golden color. Flip the mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes until golden brown.

In a small saucepan, prepare gravy per instructions. Once it's thickened, add the golden mushrooms and simmer.

Combine the ground beef, bacon bits, caramelized onion, roasted garlic bulb, steak seasoning, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper in a large bowl. Form into oval shaped patties, not too thick or thin. Add the last teaspoon of olive oil to the same skillet over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the salisbury steak patties and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or to your desired degree of doneness.

Place the cooked steak patties on a serving dish and cover with mushroom gravy. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment