Monday, February 23, 2009

Cinnamon Crumb Cake

A good friend of mine was coming for dinner and I wanted to make her a special dessert. I know she loves cinnamon so I was excited when I found a cinnamon crumb cake in my Cooking Light cookbook. I adapted the recipe by adding more cinnamon and using yogurt instead of buttermilk. My kids and I gathered all the ingredients together and made this tasty cake. It was easy to make...the kids had a great time and so did I. The cake was moist, light and full of cinnamon flavor. I normally like a lot more crumb topping but I wanted to keep it light. It was a wonderful dessert that we all enjoyed.
  • 1 1/4 cups of flour
  • 2/3 cup of packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (recipe called for 3/4)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup chilled stick of butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup of low fat vanilla yogurt (recipe called for buttermilk)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup, level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Reserve 1/2 cup of flour mixture for topping; set aside.

Combine remaining flour mixture, baking powder and baking soda; add the vanilla yogurt (or buttermilk), vanilla and egg to flour mixture. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until well blended.

Spoon batter into the prepared cake pan. Sharply tap pan once on counter to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup flour mixture over batter.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy.



Awards:

I was given the proximidade award from Selba at Selby's Food Corner. Thank you Selba!


I was given the Sisterhood Award by The Blonde Duck at A Duck in Her Pond and Cheryl from Cooking Dunkin Style. Thank you ladies!!


A big thanks to Gloria from Cookbook Cuisine for the Foodie Friends Award. Thank you very much Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment