Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Time flies when you're having fun. Today is For the Love of Cooking's one year anniversary. This has been a wonderful journey for me. Not only have I become a much better cook, I have organized my recipes and met some wonderful people who love food as much as I do. Thank you so much for visiting my blog, trying my recipes and leaving comments. I really appreciate each and every one of you.

On to the soup... I got this recipe out of a Cooking Light magazine years ago. It's really easy to make and tastes so good. It's full of flavor and delicious without being full of fat and calories. I pair it with a tossed salad and crunchy, crusty bread. It's a perfect lunch or light dinner. We all love it, especially my daughter, who had two bowls.

  • 3 cups of asparagus, cleaned with ends removed and sliced into thirds
  • 2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth (I used chicken broth)
  • 1/2 tsp of dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 2 cups of low fat milk
  • Dash of nutmeg
  • 2 tsp of butter
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
  • Zest of one lemon
In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, combine asparagus, broth, thyme, bay leaf and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Using a blender or an immersion blender, blend until completely smooth. Keep soup in the blender (or pour into a bowl if using an immersion blender) and set aside.

Place flour in the pan. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add pureed asparagus and ground nutmeg, stir to combine. Bring to a slight boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in butter, lemon zest and sea salt and black pepper to taste. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment