Thursday, January 29, 2009

Broccoli with Kalamata Olives, Garlic and Lemon

Here's another great recipe from Fine Cooking. I usually just steam broccoli and season with salt and pepper but I decided to try this recipe and I am so glad I did. The kalamata olives and lemon along with the garlic made this dish so flavorful and delicious. I adapted it a bit by adding much less oil to make it healthier. My son loved it and so did my husband and I. My daughter thought it was a bit too tangy but she ate it anyway. It's nice to find a new way to make an old favorite.
  • 1 lb of broccoli florets, cleaned and trimmed
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • 10-12 kalamata olives (or more if you want)
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • Juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

In a large pot (one that accommodates your steamer), bring about 2 inches of water to a boil. Place cleaned and trimmed broccoli florets into the steamer basket and cover with a lid. Cook until the broccoli is JUST cooked, about 3-5 minutes. I like my broccoli a bit crisp so cook longer if you want it more tender.

Once the broccoli has cooked, set aside. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the olives, garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring frequently for about 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, steamed broccoli florets and sea salt and pepper to taste. Gently mix the broccoli until well coated. Serve and enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment