Sunday, November 30, 2008

Oyster Stew

My father makes an amazing oyster stew that is rich, creamy and unbelievably delicious. We always serve it at family functions and holidays. We had a small Thanksgiving this year with just my husband, my children and me. It was nice to spend time at home watching movies by the fire and making a delicious feast. I had to make my Dad's oyster stew - it's tradition. I used lower fat milk and less butter than he does but it still turned out amazing. I am not a fan of eating the oysters in the stew (I save them for my husband) but the broth is amazing with oyster crackers. My children tried it for the first time this year, my daughter just liked the broth and crackers but my son gobbled up the oysters.

Oyster Stew:

  • 2 tbsp of butter (my dad uses much more)
  • 1 shallot, diced finely
  • 2 green onions, diced (divided)
  • 1 jar of medium size oysters, chopped into pieces (reserving the liquid)
  • Dash of Tabasco (optional)
  • 1/2 gallon of 2% milk (my dad uses whole milk)
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the shallots and half of the green onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped oysters and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the milk, oyster liquid (for a stronger oyster flavor), Tabasco, salt and pepper. Let simmer on low heat for 1-2 hours - don't let it boil. Garnish with the remainder of the green onions and serve with oyster crackers. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

Award:


I was given the "Your Blog is Fabulous" award from Priscilla's Baking Adventures. Priscilla is a talented baker who happens to be 16 years old. Make sure to check out her blog for some very tasty treats. Thanks for the award Priscilla.

I'll be passing this award on to:

Kimmie from KimDeC. I have recently found Kimmie's blog and absolutely love it! She makes incredible food and takes fantastic photos. Make sure to check out her site.

No comments:

Post a Comment