Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Split Pea with Ham Soup

I love this time of year because I can make soups and stews all winter long. It has been brisk and raining this week so I decided to make a big pot of soup. My mom made split pea soup in the crock pot when I was a kid and I have always loved it. I used to make it very smooth and well blended with an immersion blender but I now like eating it with chunks of ham, carrots and potatoes. It's a quick and easy recipe that is perfect for lunch or dinner. I served this soup with fresh baked bread and butter along with a green salad. It was a delicious, filling and healthy dinner.
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-2 carrots, diced
  • 1-2 stalks of celery, diced
  • 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
  • 1 lb ham steak, diced
  • 7-8 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock
  • 1 1lb bag of dried split peas (rinsed)
  • 1 bay leaf Salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a dutch oven pot over medium heat. Cook the onion until slightly tender. Add garlic and ham & cook for 60 seconds. Add the stock, split peas, bay leaf to pot and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium low heat for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Add the carrots, celery and potatoes then cook for an additional 30-45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf. If you want it to be a bit thicker, mix with an immersion blender for a few seconds. Enjoy.

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment