Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

Fall is here! It was a cloudy day and we were bored so my son and I decided to bake something. My kids baked a pumpkin pie last weekend with their Grandma Fran - it was so good it made me crave pumpkin. I've seen a few recipes for pumpkin muffins and bread so I thought I would give bread a try. I wanted it to be spicy and full of flavor like a pie so I added cloves, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon. I used extra pumpkin puree because I wanted a lot of pumpkin flavor and I also added walnuts for a great crunch. It turned out so moist and delicious. My kids LOVED it, they both had two pieces and asked if they could have it for dessert after dinner.
  • 1 cup of pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups of white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp of flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 cup walnut pieces
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, oil, eggs, and sugar. Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger; stir into the pumpkin mixture until well combined, add walnuts and mix. Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf. Enjoy.

This bread is perfectly wonderful plain but it's even better slathered with a little bit of butter. It's absolutely irresistible.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe


Awards:

On a side note, I recieved an award from Usha from Veg Inspirations . She has a wonderful site filled with great recipes and pictures - check it out. Thanks so much Usha - it means a lot to me.

I will pass this on to other bloggers soon... but for now I must go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment