Sunday, October 26, 2008

Chili

There is nothing more comforting and delicious than a big bowl of chili on a cold rainy day. I have been perfecting this recipe for 12 years. It took me many batches to find just the right combination of flavors but I think I've finally done it. My family and friends love this chili and so do I. I start cooking the chili in the morning because I love slow cooking in my Dutch oven on the stove top or inside the oven all day. Cooking slowly gives the flavors time to mingle, the meat will be tender and shredded and your house will smell wonderful! I serve this with fresh corn bread and honey butter.

  • 1 1/2 lbs of stew meat (I use round steak because it's lean) diced into chunks
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 stalk of celery, diced
  • 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 jalapeno, diced (optional)
  • 2 16 oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 2 tsp cumin powder
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
  • 1 7 oz can of whole green chiles, diced
  • 2 15 oz cans of tomato sauce
  • 1 16 oz kidney or black beans
  • 2 16 oz can chili or pinto beans

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Once the pot is hot, add beef and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally then add onions, celery, pepper, garlic and jalapeno (if using). Sauté for about 3-4 minutes before adding tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles and beans. Add all spices and vinegar, stir and either cook covered on low heat on the stove top,on low in your crock pot; or at 250 degrees in the oven. Cook all day stirring throughout the day if you can. Don't forget to take out the bay leaf before serving. Enjoy!

Toppings:

  • Shredded cheese
  • Sliced green onion
  • Sour cream
  • Saltine Crackers
  • Hot sauce



Awards:


I am feeling so honored by all the awards I have been given lately. I received the Kreativ Blogger from Nicole at Test Kitchen Recipes. I love Nicole's blog because she has tasty food that's always comforting and good. Thanks Nicole, I really appreciate it.

I will pass this award on to:

Aggie from Aggie's Kitchen and to Stacey from Stacey Snacks

These are two of my favorite blogs...they both have wonderful recipes and pictures.


I received the "I Love Your Blog" award from two of my favorite blogger friends. First is Marjie from Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet. Marjie is a very talented woman... she has 9 children, she has tasty recipes and she sews beautiful clothing. The other talented lady who gave me this award is The Blonde Duck from A Duck in Her Pond. She is a very creative writer who features her stories as well as wonderful recipes on her blog. Thank you ladies - it means a lot!

I will pass this award on to:

Amanda from Amanda's Cookin' and to Dawn from Vanilla Sugar

These ladies know how to cook and bake. Amanda is always making delicious meals and Dawn will tempt you with her tasty treats. Be sure to check out their sites.


I received the "I'm a Chocoholic" from Cheryl at Cooking Dunkin Style. Cheryl has a great site filled with wonderful recipes. I was given this award for my Chocolate Éclairs recipe.

I will pass this award on to:

Grace from A Southern Grace for her Monkey Muffins and Bunny Bread and to Beth from Jam and Cotted Cream for her Mars Bar Slices

Both of these recipes are on my to do list. Grace and Beth have wonderful sites filled with delicious recipes so be sure to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment