Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Coleen's Spice Cake

My kids and I wanted to make a special dessert for our friends who were coming for dinner. I instantly thought of the cake my mother in law, Coleen, recently made for us. It was moist and delicious as well as sweet, spicy and a bit crunchy. The flavors combined beautifully together and the cream cheese frosting topped it perfectly. It is one of the easiest cakes I have ever made and my kids and I had so much fun baking together. I tweaked it a bit by using some brown sugar (instead of all white) and a bit of vanilla. Thanks for the wonderful recipe Coleen!

Cake:
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients, including pineapple juice, mix thoroughly. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cube of butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups of powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients together and beat with a mixer until smooth and creamy. Ice the cake when completely cooled. Garnish the top with a sprinkle of nutmeg for a bit more spice. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment