Monday, July 7, 2008

Camping Cuisine - Pasta Salad

We headed to the mountains this past weekend and spent four wonderful (rain free) days camping with our friends. I have gone camping my entire life and enjoy it immensely. I love everything about it... coming up with delicious camp food recipes, sleeping in my tent, watching my kids make s'mores and sitting by the fire. I also love camp cooking, yes, I said camp cooking. My wonderful in laws gave us a "camp kitchen" for Christmas two years ago and it is the GREATEST camping gadget - EVER (thank you Bud & Fran). It gives me all the work space I need plus a place to organize my food, spices and dishes.

My little outdoor kitchen

This pasta salad was really tasty! I served it with a chicken teriyaki burger and fresh cherries. It was a delicious dinner that the kids and adults enjoyed - it really hit the spot after a long day of playing outside. The pasta was light, fresh, easy to make and tasted so good. Not bad for camp food.
  • Rotini (or pasta of choice), cooked per instructions
  • Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1 large cucumber, seeded & diced
  • 1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, diced
  • Feta cheese
  • Fran's Simple Vinaigrette (click here for recipe)
  • Fresh basil, chopped
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Cook pasta per instructions, drain and cool. Once the pasta has cooled, add the cherry tomato halves, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, feta cheese and basil then mix thoroughly. Slowly add the vinaigrette, salt and pepper. Taste and add more dressing as needed.

I served this salad with a Chicken Teriyaki Burger with Grilled Pineapple (click here for recipe) and it was an excellent combination.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment